HP Laptop Keyboard Not Working
Hp Laptops are considered the handiest laptops and are efficient in their working. People love to use them and do their work in no time because of their fastest output ability. HP laptop keyboard stopped working is quite a frequent problem that people face in their laptops. This caused a lot of issues for its users.
It seems simple, but we all know how easily those little keys can get jammed by other objects resting underneath them. This type of maintenance is particularly important if you don’t want to waste your time trying to fix it yourself when nothing is wrong!
This article is about how to resolve the issue of your laptop keyboard not working. We’ll walk you through a few strategies to assist you quickly resolving this issue.
HP Laptop Keyboard Not Working on Windows 10
Your laptop’s malfunctioning keyboard is the most frequent issue. If this happens, typing something on the laptop can be a real challenge. This is because when you press some keys on your laptop, those keys are actually sent to the system through a USB port or Bluetooth. The keyboard won’t work properly if there is no connection between these two devices. So how do you fix this problem? Here are the procedures to resolve the HP laptop keyboard issue on a Windows 10 computer.
- Unplug your HP laptop from the power source and remove the battery if it is attached to the computer.
- Remove any peripheral devices connected to your computer, such as speakers, mice, etc.
- Press and hold down on any key on your keyboard for about 10 seconds to reset it, and make sure that all keys are working properly before proceeding with this step if needed.
- Plug your laptop back into the wall outlet and let it boot up again by turning it on.
Hp Laptop Keyboard not Working on Windows 11
When the machine is turned on, a frequent issue is the HP laptop keyboard not working with Windows 11. The laptop keyboard will not respond or give incorrect characters when you press the key.
- Your computer should be turned off, and any attached external devices should be removed.
- Unplug all USB devices and remove any USB ports from the back of your computer.
- Hold down all of your buttons on the keyboard for at least 20 seconds. If this doesn’t work, you’ll need to disassemble it and clear the interior of any debris.
- Wait for about 30 seconds to see if anything happens when you plug in a USB device, like a mouse or keyboard dongle.
- If there is debris between keys, then they will start working after cleaning. If not, a driver’s issue will need to be corrected.
Troubleshooting Steps to Solve Hp Laptop Keyboard, not Working
Here are several ways to help you solve the issues of Hp laptop keyboards.
1- Clean Your Keyboard
Making sure that your keyboard is clean should be your first priority. The keys will not work properly if it’s dusty or has dirt on them. Remove the keys and wipe them with a soft cloth or paper tissue to clean your keyboard. Use a dry cloth or paper towel to wipe off any excess water that gets onto the keyboard. Additionally, you can utilize compressed air to remove any possible dust. When you finish cleaning your keyboard, replace the key caps and your computer’s power cord.
2- Restart Your Laptop
After you have cleaned your keyboard, restart your computer and see if this resolves the issue. This will either help fix the problem or confirm that it is something more serious, like a hardware failure. This process will reset all the settings to their default factory defaults which may restore some functionality to your laptop or desktop computer.
3- Try an External Keyboard
This is the most common solution for the HP laptop keyboard not working. You can use any external keyboard with your laptop. If your laptop has a USB port, you can attach an additional mouse and keyboard to it.
4- Unlock Your Keyboard
You will need to unlock your keyboard if the keys are jammed or do not work properly. Make absolutely sure your keyboard’s batteries are in good shape before using it. If they are not, you may need to replace them with new ones.
5- Update the Keyboard Driver
- Locate the “HP” driver.
- Click on the Hardware tab, then click “Device Manager”.
- Double-click on your laptop’s name and select “Update Driver”.
- Choose “Search my computer for driver software” in the following box, then decide whether you want to look for new hardware or update current hardware before clicking Next.
- Keyboard drivers will be updated.
6- Reinstall Keyboard Driver
Most frequently, keyboard malfunctions are caused by issues with the drivers. The driver might not work correctly because it has become corrupted or is incompatible with the os. You can reinstall the driver from the Settings App to fix the issue. After uninstalling the existing drivers and restarting the machine, Windows installs the generic drivers.
- Go to the Start icon, select Control Panel, then select Device Manager.
- Extend the Keyboards section by clicking on the Device Manager window. Then select Uninstall by right-clicking on the keyboard choice shown here.
- Select OK to continue after being asked to verify the uninstall.
- Permit the uninstall to complete. Restart your PC after that. The keyboard driver will immediately be installed after your laptop has restarted.
- Kindly use the on-screen keyboard by selecting the On-Screen Keyboard from the three symbols in the bottom right corner after selecting the center icon from the three indicators if you need to enter your password to log into your laptop.
7- Turn Off Cortana
Before we start, ensure that you turn off Cortana on your computer. Open the Start menu, select Settings > Personalization > Search and Cortana, and then click to complete the action.
8- Reset Your Laptop Battery
This is one of the most common ways to fix a broken HP laptop keyboard. If your battery is not working properly, it can be caused by issues like a low or empty battery, overheating, or any other issue. To solve the issue, you can try resetting your laptop’s battery by following these steps:
- Disconnect all laptop peripherals except the power adapter and DC jack.
- Remove all screws from the bottom cover of your HP laptop. Make sure that you remove all screws so that no part of your laptop gets damaged when removing them.
- Now, put the screws back in their place and close down the bottom cover of your HP laptop carefully so that no parts get damaged during the closing down process.
Therefore, it is concluded that laptops are a key part of any computer and laptop, and there is a need to fix them as early as possible. They need to clean them as quickly as possible if they have common issues like dust or liquid spilling. However, if the problem persists, try the steps mentioned above that will prove fruitful.
To fix it, you’ll need a few simple things like patience, and another thing will be to follow directions and not hurry. If you listen to the directions and take your time, you can fix the issue. Bookmark our page to get the latest update if you want more information.
How Can We Fix the HP Laptop Keyboard With the Help of a Battery?
The most common cause of a non-working keyboard is the battery. If you have recently changed the battery in your HP laptop, check that it is working correctly by pressing the function key and scroll lock simultaneously. The caps lock light should also be on when this happens.
If this is not the case, replace your battery and try again. If this does not solve the problem, liquid spillage or corrosion may have damaged your keyboard.
What Are the Problems Caused by a Faulty Keyboard on Your Laptop?
A laptop with a faulty keyboard will need to be replaced. If you have a laptop with a touchpad and want to replace the keyboard, you may need to replace both parts. A faulty keyboard or touchpad can cause problems with your laptop, such as:
- Inability to use the computer.
- Too many errors when trying to access files or programs.
- Unable to type in passwords and information into programs.
Can’t Type on My Laptop Keyboard. What Should I Do?
This issue’s most frequent source is dust or dirt inside the keyboard. Try blowing it out with compressed air, or wipe it down with a lint-free cloth. If that doesn’t work, it’s probably time to get a new keyboard.
Can I Repair My Broken HP Laptop Keyboard?
Yes, you can repair your broken laptop keyboard if you know how correctly. Most laptops come with extra screws that enable you to remove the keyboard’s cover and replace the entire unit if necessary. The only problem with this method is that it might be difficult for beginners; however, if you are willing to invest some time into learning how to do it correctly, yes, it is possible!
How to Change the HP Laptop Keyboard Layout?
To change the HP laptop keyboard layout, you will need a computer with an external mouse and keyboard connected to it. If you are using a Mac computer, you can click an external USB mouse and keyboard to your PC to switch between layouts without any issues.