How To Disable Keyboard On Laptop?
Despite the fact that a keyboard is required for the great majority of laptop users, it is not always necessary. Using a touchscreen tablet for more than a few hours without typing might wind up being more trouble than it’s worth. Thankfully, there is a straightforward way to completely disable keyboard on your laptop. Even while most people will only wish to do this temporarily, it’s worth a go if your keyboard is acting up.
However, there is another option that would permanently disable the keyboard, even after a device restart. In this article, we’ll go through both methods and how they work on Windows 10 and 11 and you will get to know how you will disable it. Test your keyboard with our Keyboard Functionality Test.
How To Disable Laptop Keyboard Windows 10?
Keeping curious toddlers away from your laptop or preventing typos from accidental vital presses are also good reasons to disable the keyboard on Windows 10.
In-depth instructions for doing so on a Windows 10 PC are provided below.
- Press the Windows key plus R to open the Device Manager.
- To see additional choices, enlarge the “Keyboards” section.
- Disabling the key on a laptop is as simple as right-clicking on it to see a context menu, and then selecting “Disable.”
- A confirmation popup will appear to ask whether you are sure you want to switch off the device; choose “Yes” to continue.
- After disabling the keyboard, reenabling it is as simple as going through steps 1-4 again, but this time selecting “Enable” from the context menu in step 3.
This method can also be used to disable the mouse and trackpad on your computer. It is possible to use a computer without an input device, however, it is not recommended. Unlocking the Art of Word Speed Test.
How To Disable Laptop Keyboard When External Plugged in?
Here is how you can disable the laptop keyboard when using an external plugged in.
- When you hit Windows + X, “Device Manager” appears.
- Device Manager’s “Keyboards” section shows all your laptop’s keyboards.
- Right-click on your laptop’s keyboard and select “Disable device” to disable it. Follow on-screen directions.
- Connect your external keyboard to your laptop’s USB port.
- Your laptop’s primary input device is now the external keyboard.
- Return to Device Manager, right-click the keyboard, and select “Enable device.”
These are the basic steps that will help you to enable the keyboard.
How To Disable Keyboard on Laptop Windows 11?
The below steps are helpful in disabling the keyboard on a laptop Windows 11.
- On a keyboard, you can locate it adjacent to the Spacebar and use it to activate Windows.
- When you begin typing on the desktop, Windows will search the device manager.
- Choose the “Device Manager” program from the search results when they show.
- The “Keyboards” folder in Device Manager can be accessed. By clicking the + symbol, you can view additional alternatives.
- Look for the laptop’s included keyboard. It has a “Standard PS/2 Keyboard” or something like that inscribed on it.
- To remove your laptop’s keyboard, right-click anywhere on the keyboard and then pick “Uninstall device” from the available options.
- The “Are you sure?” window might appear. Just pick either “Uninstall” or “Yes.”
- To make the adjustments take effect after an uninstall, restart your laptop.
- After restarting your laptop, you will need to use an external keyboard since the internal keyboard will no longer work. It is recommended that you utilize a separate keyboard and mouse for navigation.
- When you restart your laptop the next time, Windows will reinstall the keyboard drivers automatically, allowing you to use your laptop’s keyboard once more.
How To Disable Laptop Keyboard Lenovo?
The Lenovo laptop keyboard can be turned off in the following ways.
- Press the Windows key plus X on your keyboard to access the Power User settings.
- To access it, go to “Device Manager” in the menu.
- To do so, expand the “Keyboards” section in Device Manager.
- Use the right mouse button on your laptop’s built-in keyboard.
- Pick “Uninstall device” from the drop-down option that appears.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the keyboard.
- Restart your computer after removing the program.
- Your laptop’s keyboard should become inoperable after a reboot.
How To Disable Laptop Keyboard in Mac?
There are a handful of ways to turn off the on-screen keyboard on a Mac temporarily. One option is using the Mouse Keys option in the Universal Access menu. The method is as follows:
- Go to your Apple menu.
- The “System Preferences” button can be found by clicking.
- Select “Mouse & Trackpad” and toggle “Mouse Keys” to “On.”
- When Mouse Keys is activated, the keyboard will ignore key presses. This technique, however, may not be compatible with macOS Big Sur or Monterey.
You can customize the mapping of your keys using a third-party keyboard utility tool. These tools allow you to remap Control, Option, and Command modifier keys, for instance. You can also customize the behavior of individual keys by tapping or holding them. You’ll need a separate mouse or trackpad to move across the screen when employing any of these approaches.
How To Disable Keyboard on Laptop Temporarily?
Stop the keyboard from working momentarily on your laptop:
- Ensure that the Location drop-down menu for each HID and PS/2 Keyboard entry reads “Location 1” or “Plugged into the keyboard.”
- To proceed, right-click the device and choose “Uninstall Device.”
- Choose the “Yes” option to proceed.
- Now we’re done. The inbuilt laptop keyboard has been successfully deactivated.
Still, it’s better than nothing for the time being. The drivers for any newly connected devices that Windows doesn’t recognize will be installed automatically when you resume.
Therefore, it is concluded that you can know how to disable the keyboard on a laptop’s shortcut. People now easily turn it off on different Windows Macs and temporarily by reading our articles carefully because we have mentioned all the basic steps in detail, which will greatly help you. The keyboard helps in work efficiently and perform your functions smoothly. You can disable or enable it without facing any difficulty. You mostly do this when you have to clean the debris and want to prevent uneven strokes. Disable it if you want this for a short period.
Will this render my laptop’s keyboard disabled permanently?
This is not the case; you can always reinstall your keyboard by repeating the steps you used to remove it, which means that you can use your keyboard once more after completing this process if you so desire.
What is the advantage of turning off the built-in keyboard?
Turning off the built-in keyboard with a Windows or Mac computer will be advantageous when using an external keyboard. When you’re done, turn on the keyboard again to navigate the computer easily.
How can I disinfect the keyboard on my laptop?
Turn the laptop off, remove the battery, and let it cool down before cleaning the keyboard. Use a microfiber towel that has been moistened slightly to clean the keyboard. To clean the space between your keys, use a can of compressed air. Use a disinfecting wipe that does not contain bleach to clean the surface.
How can I get the laptop keyboard unlocked?
Try restarting the laptop, disabling Filter Keys (Windows only), cleaning the keyboard, and checking for physical damage. The drivers for the keyboard might require an update or reinstallation.
How do I reset the keyboard settings on my laptop?
In Device Manager, expand the Keyboard category, right-click your laptop, and choose Uninstall Device to restore the factory settings. Please restart your machine now. When you restart Windows, the keyboard drivers will be updated automatically.