How To Clean MacBook Keyboard
Maintaining the form and operation of your MacBook’s keyboard requires regular cleaning. Keyboards can become sticky or unresponsive if dust, dirt, or food particles collect between the keys over time.
Keeping the keyboard on your MacBook clean has benefits beyond just improved functionality. To prevent breaking the fragile parts, the proper procedures must be followed.
Turning off and unplugging your MacBook is the first step in thoroughly cleaning its keyboard. Start by giving the laptop a little shake to loosen any dust or dirt. The residual dust and particles can be blown away using compressed air or brushed away with a soft bristles brush.
Be careful not to use too much force when typing or to spill liquid cleansers on the keyboard. Instead, use a mild cleaning solution or isopropyl alcohol to gently wash the keys and their surroundings with a lint-free cloth. Always make sure the keyboard is completely dry before powering up your MacBook.
Here are the detailed steps, you need to preserve your MacBook keyboard in pristine shape, extending its life and facilitating fast, accurate typing.
Best 8 Steps To Clean Macbook Keyboard
The following instructions can help you clean your home thoroughly while reducing the likelihood of harm.
Turn Off Your MacBook
To begin cleaning, turn off your MacBook and remove it from any power sources. This safety measure is essential for avoiding electrical problems and harm during cleaning.
Clean Up Any Flying Debris
Turn your MacBook upside down and shake it lightly to release stray dust or crumbs. Tap the base of your MacBook to loosen dust or dirt from behind the keys. This will assist in providing a smooth base for further cleaning.
Employ a Gentle Brush
Get a clean toothbrush with gentle bristles or a lint-free soft brush. Any leftover dust or dirt may be pried out from between the keys using this instrument. Move your brush gently back and forth across the keys, paying particular attention to the gaps between them. Handling the keys and mechanisms carefully is essential to avoid breaking them.
Wet a cotton swab or cloth
A lint-free cloth or cotton swab should then be dampened with isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol at a 70% concentration is suggested. The use of a dedicated electronic device cleaner is another option. If you need to clean the keyboard, use a damp cloth or swab, but not dripping wet.
Scrub the Keyboard
Wipe the keys with the moist cloth or cotton swab in a back-and-forth motion, one at a time. Take special care with any sticky or discolored keys. You can use more pressure to get rid of tough stains, but be careful not to use too much.
Disinfect the Space
While you’re at it, tidy up the area around the keys while you’re doing it. Carefully clean the keyboard surface with a moist cloth or swab to remove any dust or filth that has settled there.
Dry the Keyboard
Just let the keyboard dry out in the open air. Ensure the keyboard is dry before turning on your MacBook or closing the lid. This safeguards against water infiltration into the inner workings, possibly leading to costly repairs.
Connect and Turn On
After the keyboard has dried, you may turn on your MacBook again. Make sure the keys are working correctly by testing them. Repeat the cleaning process or get some help from a professional if necessary.
How To Clean Macbook Keyboard Without Compressed Air?
If you don’t have any compressed air on hand, don’t worry! The MacBook keyboard may still be cleaned without using the cleaning tool. Here is a helpful primer:
- Get ready with a clean, lint-free cloth or a toothbrush (with gentle bristles).
- If you don’t have access to any of those, use a tiny quantity of water to dampen the cloth or use a mild cleaning solution for electronics.
- Avoid using too much liquid or pressure when you clean or brush the keys in a back-and-forth motion.
- You can use a cotton swab dipped in a cleaning solution to gently remove sticky residue or spots that won’t go.
- Wait to turn on your MacBook until the keyboard has dried thoroughly.
How To Clean Macbook Keyboard without Turning It On?
If you want to avoid liquid or debris damage to your MacBook keyboard, you should clean it before turning it on. Here is a detailed tutorial:
- Please turn off your Mac and remove it from power immediately.
- Flip the MacBook over and tap the underside to shake out the dust.
- Use a can of compressed air to remove any leftover dust or debris between the keys. Use brief, sharp blasts of air while holding the can vertically.
- A lint-free cloth or cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol can remove noticeable stains or stickiness. Squeeze off the extra liquid so it doesn’t soak through.
- Use a damp cloth and a back-and-forth motion to gently clean the afflicted keys. Try not to use too much force or get the fabric too saturated.
- Make sure the keyboard is dry before starting up your MacBook.
How To Clean Macbook Screen?
It’s essential to be careful while cleaning your MacBook screen so you don’t damage it. If you want a spotless display after cleaning, use these methods on your MacBook:
- Put your Mac into sleep mode and remove the power cord.
- Use a microfiber cloth that won’t leave lint behind. Don’t wipe your screen with a paper towel or anything too abrasive.
- Use a soft cloth and clean the screen in a circular motion, beginning from one edge and working your way around. Avoid using too much force.
- Moisten the cleaning cloth with water or use a screen-cleaning solution for electronics if the smudges or fingerprints persist. The solution should be sprayed onto the cloth rather than the screen.
- To get the screen completely dry, keep cleaning it.
- Finally, restart your MacBook when the display has dried entirely from air exposure.
How To Clean Macbook Keyboard After Liquid Spill?
If you have liquid on your MacBook keyboard, you must act quickly to avoid damaging your computer. Follow this simple tutorial to disinfect your MacBook’s keyboard after an accident. Start by turning off your MacBook and unplugging it. As liquid drains out, tilt the laptop and dab the excess with a dry cloth or paper towel.
Don’t jolt or sway the laptop around too much. Next, wipe the afflicted keys with a moist cloth or cotton swab that has been dabbed with isopropyl alcohol, taking care not to soak the keyboard.
Please turn off your MacBook and let it dry completely before using it again. Remember that prevention is vital, so things like wearing keyboard covers and being careful with liquids are worth considering.
Therefore, it is concluded that if you want your MacBook to last as long as possible and function at its best, you need to keep its keyboard clean. It eliminates dust and filth without causing harm by following the proper cleaning procedures, such as carefully removing debris, utilizing compressed air, and softly wiping with a moist cloth.
Typing accuracy is enhanced, and hygiene is promoted by routinely wiping the keyboard. Be careful, switch the gadget off, and don’t use any liquid cleansers or extreme force. If you take good care of your MacBook, its keyboard will last you for years and look as good as new.
What you shouldn’t use to clean the keyboard on your MacBook?
It would help if you didn’t use acetone or hydrogen peroxide-containing liquids on your MacBook keyboard, among other chemicals. Your Macbook should be kept away from any cleaning products, including window cleaners, home cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia, and abrasives, that include any of these chemicals. Also, avoid spraying liquids directly on the keyboard since the spilled liquid might seep under the keys and ruin the keyboard.
Can I use water or other liquid cleansers to disinfect the keyboard on my MacBook?
It’s not a good idea to wipe your MacBook keyboard with anything liquid. Dampness may wreak havoc on the delicate machinery, rendering it inoperable. Avoid using water to wipe the keys and surfaces; use a mild cleaning solution or isopropyl alcohol on a moist towel.
Can I take the keys off to clean beneath them?
If you’re an expert in keyboard repair, it’s a good idea to take the keys off a MacBook’s keyboard. The keys are fragile and straightforward to break. Compressed air or a soft brush are the finest tools for cleaning the space between the keys of an old keyboard.
How often should I wipe off the keyboard on my MacBook?
It would help if you cleaned it depending on how often you use it and how dirty your MacBook keyboard becomes. If there are apparent filth, stickiness, or unresponsive keys, it’s time to clean. Please give it a good cleaning every few months to keep the buildup at bay and the performance at its peak.
Can I safely clean the keyboard using compressed air?
Compressed air is a risk-free and efficient way to clean the keyboard of your MacBook. Only use brief bursts of air to avoid losing moisture and keep the canister upright. In addition, avoid getting too close to the keyboard to protect the keys and the rest of the device.